Our client, a very well respected Chartered Accountants have an open vacancy for a Payroll Manager in their Newcastle office.
This will be a hybrid working role, with 2 days in the office, and 3 days working from home.
They are looking for driven and ambitious payroll professional looking to develop a challenging and stimulating career. The Manager in the Payroll Operate services will play a strategic role in supporting the Payroll leader and GCR leadership in executing the vision for the build out of service delivery functions for UK Payroll Operate. The role is to provide subject matter expertise, project leadership, and direction to UK Payroll operation teams to ensure our Payroll service is fit for purpose.
To qualify for this role, you must:
- Over 8+ years’ relevant hands-on experience in Payroll
- Payroll qualifications e.g., Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals (CIPP)
- End-to-end Payroll knowledge and experience is a must within a high-volume payroll business.
- Expertise in understanding payroll compliance, rules, and legislations in a multi-country environment and with up-to-date knowledge
- Knowledge and hands on experience in Statutory payments/deductions and Pension contributions and their management
- Thorough understanding of upstream and downstream processes that impact Payroll.
- Good understanding of payroll compliance including AE, RTI, Apprenticeship Levy
- Familiar with payroll software, preferably including Iris
- Good IT skills including experience of working with excel documents
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Good workload management skills and an ability to work to deadlines
- Experience of managing a team
- Experience of multiple and large client payroll processing
- Payroll project experience
- Preferably have exposure to managed multi-country Payroll cycle in a client service environment.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Ensuring that the payrolls are processed each pay period in a timely and accurate manner
- Advising on any technical payroll matters arising, such as Termination payments, payrolling of benefits, statutory payments, Stock transactions, Apprenticeship Levy
- Understanding and advising teams of how the technical payroll aspects relate to the payroll software in operations
- Developing and advising bespoke financial reports such as general ledger reports
- Ensuring Full Payment Submissions and Employer Payment Summaries are made to HMRC on a timely basis
- Approving BACS files for the payment of employees
- Ensuring team compliance with the firm’s cash handling requirements
- Auto- Enrolment compliance
- Undertaking in-depth reviews of the work carried out by the payroll team prior to client delivery
- Understanding of and complying with Quality and Risk requirements for professional service firms
- Preparing payroll proposals from documents to delivery including attendance at oral presentations
- Dealing with the global team to coordinate payroll offerings and proposals
- Set up and attending client meetings when required and developing KPI’s
- Developing additional services for payroll clients
- Define standards, processes, and controls that ensure Operations and Client deliverables are accurate, timely and in line with agreed fees
- Transition of new payroll clients and project plans
- Dealing with client and employee queries in relation to payroll operations and ensuring that escalation procedures are in place.
- Managing team workloads and allocations
- HMRC audit assistance
- Counselling of staff including annual and midyear reviews
- Preparing fee and budget details.
- Ensuring that the team are achieving targets for internal finance purposes
- Effectively identify, manage, resolve, and mitigate key risks and issues impacting the client delivery, and acting as a point of escalation.
- Work with internal teams to ensure effective procedures are established for setup of internal and external systems, tools, and processes as part of the client transition process.